“To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly; to listen to the stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear on cheerfully, do all bravely, awaiting occasions, worry never; in a word, to, like the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common.” ~ William Henry Channing

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Look, Francine, I sewed!

My dear Patrick has always wanted a green santa hat. I actually began sewing one last December, but that was back in the days when December didn't mean holiday cheer for our family. Instead Thanksgiving heralded the beginning of a month of working 16 hour days. Joy. Yeah. Pure joy. So the half-finished hat actually moved with us into the yurt.





This year, we have time to have a festive tree, make a gingerbread yurt, come up with darling homemade gifts for one another, and .... make a green hat for the man of green hats.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin my Dear, dear sister. That is fantabulous hat. A PERFECT shade of green for my sweet brother. I am so proud of you. Did you sew it by hand or machine? I prefer more and more to do hand sewing because of its relaxing nature. Great job.

btw would you mind posting a pic of your tree?
Francine

Anonymous said...

Hey I saw the picture of your beautiful tree. Pat is SO right. It is exactly what our Granmere would have done. She is, after all, the woman who hauled huge blocks of broken up concrete so that she could make a rock wall in her backyard. Ask Pat about the whole story. Love, your sis

Beautiful Each Day said...

I hand sewed the soft white fabric edging on and the ball at the end. I used the machine for the green felt. It went better than I thought it was going to. I don't enjoy handsewing, but after a lot of patient coaching from my dear Auntie Deedee I have finally really figured out how to knit, and I love doing that.

Back in Watsonville Patrick made a crazy-quilt sort of path out of broken sidewalk concrete. Now I know where he got that idea!

Doyu Shonin said...

Gingerbread yurt?

Beautiful Each Day said...

Risa-

We live in a yurt, so when the time came to make a gingerbread house the kids wanted to make a yurt. It was a fabulous disaster. Gingerbread isn't meant to be make round walls. We ate it anyway and giggled all night. My oldest daughter dubbed it "the yurt earthquake site".