“To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly; to listen to the stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear on cheerfully, do all bravely, awaiting occasions, worry never; in a word, to, like the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common.” ~ William Henry Channing

Monday, March 23, 2009

Weather


In the last 48 hours we have had a sunny 75 degree afternoon, a windy, pounding rainstorm, thunder, lightning, hail and now a frosty 28 degree morning. Spring is a capricious sprite.


Mother Nature's creatures are not easy to predict either. We recently expanded and improved the chicken coop after His Majesty Prince Eagle found his way in. (Picture and story on Patrick's blog) Now that their housing seems secure from forced entry, I have lost two chickens to a predator who seems to be reaching through the wire walls and (sorry, yuck) eating the carcasses right through the wire. I imagine it is a bobcat, based on a lack of tracks. The only other animal I think capable of such dexterity is a raccoon, but they generally leave easily-read footprints.
In all my years growing up here, I saw only one bobcat, and that was when I was far from everything, horseback riding by myself. Last month I spotted my second cat, inside the fence of the yard, only 20 feet from my parents' front door. My mouth actually fell open. She had just killed one of the geese in broad daylight. Amazing.
The weather, animal behavior, the success or failure of my vegetable plants- the unpredictable pattern of these things reminds me never to assume I know what Mother Nature has up her sleeve.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bobcat's eh? I think I may rethink my plans to visit after your flush toilet moves from next door!!! Don't forget, never run from a feline predator. Yell loud, try to look big. When all else fails, give it the horse!!
Nonna

Beautiful Each Day said...

Aha! I need a horse!

Anonymous said...

yikes. we're terrified of mosquitos here. funny how Mother Nature empowers, eh? I'm finally able to log on a bit more and read... hwo nice to read about your life. pam

Beautiful Each Day said...

Yay! Pam! It's so good to hear from you. Gosh I miss ya'll. I love all the pictures in your last post. Hugs to all!

Pamela said...

Robin,
I have been thinking so much about you and all you are involved in. I've been looking for new posts for you because I need more of your "beautiful" outlook. We are all great, here on the other side of the globe, but we miss you all and really want to stay connected.
Love, Pam

Shannon Guzzetta said...

Robin, I miss you. We need to re-connect. Love, Shannon