“To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly; to listen to the stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear on cheerfully, do all bravely, awaiting occasions, worry never; in a word, to, like the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common.” ~ William Henry Channing

Sunday, March 16, 2008

I'm a Criminal


I imagine you might have heard that an appellate court in California has ruled that homeschooling is illegal unless the parent is a certified teacher.





Wow. So until our lawmakers fix things up I am living on the wrong side of the law. Sure guys, and is is also illegal to kiss my kids' booboos when they skin their knees, limit after-dinner treats to one per day, or take them to the library? For our family, learning with our children is just part of how we choose to live our lives. The very idea that other people think they have a right to tell us whether or not we are permitted to do so boggles my mind. I could go on all night, but I won't. I don't think this ruling will be upheld by higher courts, so I don't worry about any real impact on our lives.



No comments: