“To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly; to listen to the stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear on cheerfully, do all bravely, awaiting occasions, worry never; in a word, to, like the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common.” ~ William Henry Channing

Monday, March 31, 2008

Our Plum Tree






The thing I think I will miss most about the little red house when we leave is the plum tree. It's not a very productive tree, and the fruit is tiny, but Patrick and I were married under it's branches. Then a few years later it was in full bloom on the stormy January night Elizabeth was born. Every year we have told her that it blooms as a gift for her birthday, and we have come to call it Elizabeth's tree. I mourn to leave it, but we will remember the joy we have felt under and in it's branches, picking the fruit it creates to pass on its life, making vows to entwine our lives, and bearing a new life of our own. We will try to take a cutting or plant a pit from the harvest this year. I sure hope we are successful, but even if we aren't, I will always remember Elizabeth's plum tree.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin, I loved this post. The b/w photos put it over the top. Thank you for encouraging comments as, I admit, I'm guilty of spending long relaxing moments enjoying your blog without extending my gratitude for the pleasure I gain from it. Must run now, but (a) Please thank Patrick for sharing this fun treasure with me by marketing for you and; (b) "Why can't we be more like Aliana" is one of my favorite messages. Lisa @WCH

Beautiful Each Day said...

Thanks Lisa, I am glad to know you enjoy it.

-Robin