“To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly; to listen to the stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear on cheerfully, do all bravely, awaiting occasions, worry never; in a word, to, like the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common.” ~ William Henry Channing

Thursday, April 10, 2008

No picky eaters allowed!




My family is amazing. The bunch of us are all weirdos, but we either don't care or don't know, depending upon the individual in question. That's really why we're homeschooling, to avoid the embarassment of sending them out into public. Just kidding. I think.




This morning Isidore was complaining because we were having fried eggs and sliced oranges for breakfast again. Ever practical (see my post from March 26) Aliana pointed out that we have lots of homegrown eggs right now, so we should enjoy them. She explained that eggs are healthy protein filled food, and that oranges help our bodies fight colds and lower cholesterol. I simply stated, for the seven hundred twenty fifth time (so maybe I'm exagerating) that I will not tolerate picky eaters in my family.







Did either of these attempts sway dear Isidore? Nope. Breakfast was eaten under threat of force.






After he managed to finish his meal without dying of boredom from eating eggs and oranges for the third time this week he scampered outside with his sisters to collect snails from the garden for tomorrow's dinner.






Yes, the child who fights over consuming two of the most common items on an american grocery list thinks it's a great idea to eat a creature not many people on this continent would even consider food.






The kids are all very involved in what we eat. They eagerly peruse the seeds catalogues just as I do. They help to plan the garden, plant the seeds and as it grows they water, weed and harvest. Some of my very favorite memories of my time with my children are in the garden. When I signed us up for the 100 foot diet challenge they cheered me on. We have been brainstorming, and realized that in the spring the snail population explodes. In years past we fed buckets of them to the chickens. This year we're going to cook them with a little garlic and butter and eat them ourselves.






Yum.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Escargot Cult?

I'm sure Isadore's egg-centricity
is just a passing phase. Even vegetarians sometimes or eventually realize how good eggs are! I just learned a new way to cook them: crack them into a cup and blast them under the steam from an espresso maker.

Have the kids really all tried and enjoyed the snails?

I appreciate your intolerance for picky eaters- my mom was/is the same way. She had six children (i'd say "kids" but goats aren't pick eaters. Anyway her attempts to change our tastes backfired disastrously. I have a brother who won't eat any fish/seafood of any kind- a sister with bulimia/anorexia and I won't even admit my own prejudices against some basic foodstuffs.

If she hadn't tried to force us to eat these things I'm sure we'd be happily eating them. (in the case of my sister: she would be happily simply eating)

I've basically been successful using lies and trickery to make my daughter Raven try things she assumes she won't like- and this goes beyond food. I hope you guys get to meet her soon. We are hoping to help you guys out on your building projects on the mountain this summer.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic learning experience for the kids to grow their own food and to have some responsibility for taking care of it.