“To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly; to listen to the stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear on cheerfully, do all bravely, awaiting occasions, worry never; in a word, to, like the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common.” ~ William Henry Channing

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Routine but not dull




I like to stay home. It is absolutely my favorite place to be. I view errands in town with a general level of grumpiness and usually turn them over to dear Patrick, oftimes with a list more detailed and controlling than I care to admit. I have turned grocery shopping into one giant expedition once every month or so, when I drag Aliana along and show her some real world application for all that damn math I make her do. When the garden really gets rolling I think I will be able to cut the frequency down to every few months. Long live the chest freezer! All of that means I'm now only obligated to venture out once a week to take the kids to a day of workshops at our homeschool program site. My dear Patrick climbs out of bed every morning and drives away to ensure we have a small cash flow, while I have the liberty to stay at home and find ways to avoid spending those dollars. I am grateful beyond words for his willingness to divide our labor the way that we do.
So, what do I do all day.? Have a bon bon and let me catch you up on Days of Our Lives...
The hours in my days are neatly bookended by animal chores. Every twelve hours I milk Rosie the goat. Every single day, 7AM and 7PM. In summer I'm outside in the sunshine both milkings, in the winter I hide under cover from the rain or dark or cold at least once. I love having a living being depending upon me to be on schedule. It makes me actually do it!
Caring for other animals and the garden takes up time every day. Dishes, laundry, cooking, and homeschooling happen every day. My days are nearly all alike. I do have a loose weekly plan to accomplish things that don't need to be done daily, such as checking food stores on Friday, making cheese and bread on Tuesday, or planning our school week on Sundays.
Living the way we do, like sardines in a can, means that working surfaces must be kept clear when not in use. So tidying things up happens all day, every day. Flat surfaces with elbow room are at a premium in an 800 square foot home. It is enormously difficult for me to begin a cooking project if the counter is full of dirty dishes and condiment containers. Any hope of concentrating on a math lesson rests on beginning with a clear table. After many gentle and a handful of far from gentle reminders we have all settled into the habit of cleaning up one mess before we begin making a second one. Naturally we all need occasional reminders, but generally the house stays pretty tidy these days. I wouldn't want a visitor to peek behind my cupboard doors, and the laundry regularly overflows the capacity of the basket by about 700%, but I find it much easier to keep my head above water than I ever have before.
One thing at which I continue to marvel is the fact that even though we let go of truck loads of material goods when packing and moving last year, we are still finding things to give or throw away. Once a day I give the kids a few minutes warning, and then walk around to find things that aren't put away, threatening to donate anything I find lying around to the thrift store. The first time I found toys on the floor I tried to be lenient and give the kids another chance. to tidy up. Much to my surprise Isidore informed me that they had left them on the floor because they didn't want them any more. The choices they make about what to keep or give away fascinate me. Legos stay, tinker toys go. Wooden dolls and little metal cars stay, the marble maze set goes. Homemade cardboard shield and fabric scrap cape stay, fancy animal costumes go. Less toys mean less clean up for the players.
Living in our teeny abode has made the housework load many time lighter, as well. Sweeping the floor takes a few minutes. That's the whole floor, not one room. Once a week I wash the windows. All three of them. In order to simplify the dish-washing chores we each own one plate, one cup, one bowl, etc. Even 4-year old Elizabeth can rinse her bowl out after breakfast and leave it ready for lunch.
Less is good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Sister. I am so happy to read this particular blog. I enjoy routine and am also annoyed at having errands, unless of course, I have to go to the fabric store. We the pack rats are trying to get better at tossing and donating. Yes! Even my charming sentimental husband who feels there is a need to keep almost everything because you "never know when this thingamajig might come in handy". While I am not really interested in having farm animals I am really looking forward to gardening, REAL gardening this spring. You and my brother and your children are my inspiration. Love your sis

Beautiful Each Day said...

Whatcha gonna grow? Elizabeth suggests lot and lots of flowers.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that your soul sister found you, allowing a lovely moment of erapport!!

Being a much older woman myself and not having the (what seems from my point of view to be luxurious) option of not working outside the home, I am wistfully happy for you.

I wish you so much good luck with your doings!

Anonymous said...

Hi i'd like to say how jealous I am of your dedication to this blog. I don't think I could ever be that dedicated!

I love you,
Your niece,
Sammie

P.S. tell my cousins and uncle Pat hi and I miss them

P.S.S. Great Pictures!

Beautiful Each Day said...

Sammie! Thank you for reading and for your lovely compliments. I passed out your hellos to everyone here. I am sure you will find something that will catch your interest enough to make you dedicate yourself to it.

We miss you, too. I love you!